Synthesizers are electronic keyboards that are designed to generate or copy almost all kinds of sounds. They can mimic a traditional instrument such as a piano or violin or create new, unimagined music. Synthesizers are not just any ordinary musical instruments. They allow the user to create a sound palette of their own.
These impressive products come in a wide variety of designs- and prices. They are very functional and equipped with numerous features for the best musical experience. If you’re looking for a synth under 2000 dollars, then we’ve highlighted the best in the market to give a better look.
7 Best Synths Under 2000 Dollars On the Market
|Best Powerful - Arturia Matrixbrute Analog Synth||$1,999.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Runner Up - Moog Semi-Modular Analog Synth||$949.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Best Compact - Teenage Engineering OP-1||$1,299.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Best 37 Key - Moog Subsequent 37 Analog Synth||$1,599.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Best 49 Key - Roland System-8 Synth Under 2000||$1,499.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Best 76 Key -Yamaha MODX7 Synth Workstation||$1,599.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Best 88 Key - Yamaha MX88 Synth Under 2000||$1,099.99||Buy on Amazon|
What Can You Get From a $2000 Synth
For most products, expensive merchandise means the items are made better and have a lot to offer, just like the saying says; you get what you buy. However, the price range of a synth isn’t a determination of how good the model is, especially the functionalities.
But if you consider the pricey high-end models, you might notice some exceptional features that justify their price. Here are some of the things you can get from a high-quality $2000 synth.
1. Premium design and feel – Most of the $2000 synths will have that premium design and feel. $2000 is not cheap, and to try and justify the unit, most synth makers will give their models an elegance, attractive design. That allows you to see yourself enjoying and engaging beauty and sound to reward your explorations. You will notice that most of these $2000 synths have ivory or ebony keyboard of it piano.
2. Polyphony – This is the ability to output or process more than one note individually at a go. It does not matter whether if it’s articulated via Paraphonic (mono VCA/filter) or fully polyphonic (VCA/Filter per voice).
A high-end $2000 synth will have it and other useful control scalping modules such as multiples and attenuators. What that means is, the classy synth can generate mono, duo, and 4-voice polyphony.
3. Hardware size – As you might have noticed, it’s hard to convince a customer to buy a compact, feature-limited synth of about $2000. That pushes the synth maker to build an eye-catching model.
It also has to feature multiple hardware connectors. Of course, size doesn’t matter, but it’s used to justify the high price tag.
4. Extra features – Unlike a cheap synth, a high-end $2000 unit will have some extra features such as multiple MIDI ports, effects, a built-in sequencer, tune and pitch calibration, performance recording and automation controls, patch and song memories, and stability circuitry plus the ability to synchronize with other synthesizers and interface with a PC, laptop, tablet, or smartphone.
How to Choose a Synth Under $2000?
Now that your budget is already decided, there are several other factors that you may need to consider before you go and buy a synthesizer. They are listed below for you.
1. Kind of sound – You need first to determine the type of sound you want. Synthesizers are designed to produce electronic sounds and can mimic many instruments. You need to assess your music and identify the dominant tool.
Here, you will have to choose either digital or analog. The difference arises in the production of sound. Both of them produce quality sounds. You can choose one that suits your style.
2. Analog or digital – This is mostly a matter of personal preference. As stated earlier, both of these types produce quality sounds. You can choose which one suits you.
3. Polyphony – Polyphony is, in simple terms, the number of voices that you require. Some synthesizers have monophonic sounds, while others have polyphonic voices.
4. MIDI implementation – MIDI capabilities are essential, especially if you want to use your synth with a computer, record, and store your synth compositions.
5. Drums – Drums sound or not? It is all up to you. Some newer models feature the drum sounds and are relatively cheap.
There are a plethora of choices of synthesizers, so finding the right one may be challenging. Hopefully, the factors above will help you make a decision.
Top 7 Best Synthesizer Under 2000 Reviews
- Quality keyboard and solid chassis
- Steiner-Park filter and ladder filter
- Incredible modulation matrix
- Powerful selectable analog effects
- It is as flexible as a modular system but offers presets
Watch out for
- Needs computer to setup global MIDI controls
The Arturia Matrixbrute analog synthesizer will exceed your expectations. It is known to be the most potent monophonic Synthesizer. It is as flexible as a modular system but offers resets, making it the ideal Synthesizer.
This Synthesizer offers three Brute oscillators, a ladder filter and a Steiner-Park filter, an incredible modulation matrix, and 5-analog effects. This massive sonic beast allows users to create their routings.
Moreover, the matrix is designed to recall your presets to select any of the 256 presets instantly. This Synthesizer allows you to your sound palette.
Arturia Matrixbrute can be used as a modulation source; sounds evolve in texture and melody- just how you like it. You can count on it to give you the power and sonic quality of a vast modular synthesizer. Also, you can work in any setup, thanks to the multitude of connections.
- Easy to use sequencer and arpeggiator
- Powerful keyboard front
- Two analog oscillators
- External audio input
- No patching is required
- Works with the Mother-32, Euro Rack, DFAM modular systems, and many more.
Watch out for
- Its layout may confuse a beginner
- Not enough patch cords included
The Moog Grandmother Semi-Modular analog keyboard synthesizer is a true machine for everyone interested in creating a sound palette. It features a built-in sequencer, a spring reverb tank, and an arpeggiator. You can start playing right away and explore the infinite sonic playground with its endless reconfigurable front panel.
On top of that, this Synthesizer requires no patching at all. You can count on it for the highly complex modulations and sounds. The onboard spring reverb tank, modulation engine, and sound engine are completely analog, offering you an unrestricted sonic vocabulary of high power and beauty.
Enjoy the magic and joys of analog synthesis. The sequencer and arpeggiator are easy to use for a better experience. This Synthesizer is the ideal analog audio processor for external sound sources.
- High-quality stereo effects
- Multiple unique engines
- Endless step sequencer
- 4-track tape recorder
- It lasts longer than other devices
Watch out for
- MIDI implementation a little thin
The Teenage Engineering OP-1 portable synthesizer is an outstanding synthesizer. It is the ultimate portable Synthesizer thanks to its compact design.
The synth offers a power-packed performance with the Synthesizer, controller, and sampler in a fast and simple interface. Featuring eight inbuilt engines with exchangeable architecture, three high sequencers, and eight quick-selection keys, it enables you to have instant live tweaks.
Besides that, this Synthesizer’s integrated 24-voice instant live sampler allows the user to sample from onboard music, 4-track tape recorder, FM radio, and so on. The 4-track tape recorder is handy with its variable speed so you can instantly tweak your recordings live. It allows a 6-minute recording time on all the sides of the tape recorder.
The mixer features a VU meter that displays sound levels and control over the pan—furthermore, the 4-track mixer with effect, EQ, and drive for the addition of texture. The Tombola sequencer adjusts gravity and bounciness.
- More multi-drive
- Sound engine evolution
- High-power headphones
- A vast array of analog sound-design tools at your command.
- Offers room for two- more headroom.
Watch out for
- A bit expensive
With the Moog Subsequent 37 analog synthesizer, everything is at your fingerprints. This paraphonic analog synthesizer has a control panel with up to 40 knobs and 74 switches that allow you to place an array of onboard sequencing options and analog sound-design tools at your command. This Synthesizer improves on its source, given the implementation of several functional enhancements and user-requested sonic.
Another thing is this Synthesizer features duo and mono performance modes for a broader range of classic tones. It also features two assignable mod busses, an ultra-powerful sequencer, and two DAHDSR looping envelopes.
What’s more, the 37 note key-bed is lightweight and offers swift action and after-touch. This Synthesizer has a transformative multi-drive circuit for added functionality. The upgraded key-bed enhances playability, and the high-powered headphone amplifier is strong enough.
- Internal sound engine
- High-resolution control
- Polyphonic step sequencer
- The system-8 is unparalleled in its versatility
- Offers a large selection of onboard effects with hands-on control.
Watch out for
- No dedicated tone wheel
The Roland SYSTEM-8 plug-out synthesizer is an amazing creative tool. This 49-key synth is a worthy upgrade from the original Roland synthesizers. It is dubbed the new classic as it nails the behavior and sounds of the sought-after classics.
The multiple dedicated effects allow you to mix and match the vintage and modern oscillators and filter types. The vast array of high-resolution controls enables you to shape every detail. You can also create fully-realized musical ideas thanks to the onboard polyphonic sequencer with motion recording.
Moreover, this Synthesizer is highly versatile with the 49 full-size keys and advances ACB technology. With an internal sound engine, this Synthesizer delivers dynamic modern sounds and classic analog tones with an analog vibe. It hosts up to three PLUG-OUT synths. The dimmable lights show you which controls are active and enhance visibility in dark studios. Other special features include an arpeggiator, three oscillators, vocoder, polyphonic chord memory functions, USB audio interface, and enhanced functionality.
- Motion sequences
- Seamless sound switching
- 192 total note polyphony
- AWM2 and FM-X engines
- The seamless sound switching allows for smooth changing of performances
- The superb knob controls multiple parameters simultaneously
Watch out for
- Cannot turn off the blinking super button
The Yamaha MODX7 76-key synthesizer workstation will meet all your synthesis needs. This lightweight and compact synth is made to deliver inspired music-making.
The powerful engine is designed to allow unlimited potential so you can create your unique sounds. You can count on this modernized Synthesizer for sophisticated sound design and fantastic sound playback. The engine parts feature eight fully-programmable synthesizers with amplitude, filters, pitch and filter envelope generators, 3-band EQ, and so on.
What’s more, the 8-operator frequency modulation architecture and the 64-note polyphony allow a vast array of sound design options. The super knob feature allows the simultaneous control of over 128 parameters in one single performance. Also, the motion sequences are entirely customizable, tempo-synchronized, and can be assigned to any synthesizer parameter.
- 88-note GHS weighted action
- Motif sound technology for realistic sounds
- Virtual circuit modeling
- High connectivity
- Lightweight and portable design
- Realistic acoustic piano touch and response
- Ensures a drop-out free performance with the multiple polyphony notes
Watch out for
- Some outdated sampled sounds
The Yamaha MX88 88-Key weighted action synthesizer is fun to play. It features a GHS weighted action with a lighter response in the high keys and a more substantial response in the low keys. That works to provide a realistic acoustic piano response and touch.
Moreover, this Synthesizer is ideal for any music and environment style thanks to the highly detailed midrange, powerful focused low-end, and pristine high-end.
Moreover, this Synthesizer is lightweight and thus suitably portable without compromising sound quality. It has 88 full-sized and touch-sensitive keys with over 1000 voices from the traditional motif. Plus, the 128 notes of polyphony ensures a drop-out free performance.
Empower your creativity, take control, and stand out from the crowd with one of these top-performing synthesizers. They are an excellent device for any musician. With technology improving day by day, they have only gotten better. So do not be left behind and realize your musical dreams.