It goes without saying that music is the food for the soul. Therefore, choosing the right equipment for music not only enhances your performance but also allows you to create stunning sounds. Whenever you play or produce Hip Hop music, you can make it better and outstanding by choosing the best synth for Hip Hop.
The synth is an instrument used in Hip Hop especially by young people. It has several classifications which makes it a famous musical instrument. In this article, we are going to explore the best synth for Hip Hop including the buyer’s guide.
5 Best Synths for Hip Hop On the Market
How To Choose A Synth for Hip Hop?
Choosing a synth is not a walk in the park because there are so many options you can find in the market. Therefore, when you are looking for a synth for Hip Hop you should be keen to choose the one that suits your needs.
The following are some of the features you should consider when choosing the best synth for Hip Hop.
1. Sound – The first factor to consider is the sound. Many synths produce different sound qualities. When choosing a synth for Hip Hop, you should consider one with the best sound quality which makes your music great. For example, the iconic bass sound genres of Hip Hop which mainly produce drum beats and can also make bass tones.
2. Connectivity – Connectivity is another important factor to consider. Make sure that you know what you want to use your synth for. You may want to connect a synth to your computer or hardware which is why choosing a synth with a USB connection is the desired option.
3. Portability – If you will be carrying around your synth for live performance, then you need to choose a portable device. Besides, look at whether the synthesizer can fit into your current setup such as a studio. Most of the synthesizers on our list are portable.
4. Keys – The question you need to ask yourself is how many keys does a synth have? And are you looking for a synth that plays two-handed or produces great sound? A keyboard is important in controlling your instrument and trigger sounds connectivity between multiple devices.
5. Sensitivity – Some digital pianos have touch-sensitive keys. A touch-sensitive keyboard allows musicians to express themselves more as they can play softer or harder depending on how hard they hit the keys.
This gives you more expressions meaning that you can play more interesting melodies and more subtle as well as give more options while producing.
It is a known fact that analog synthesizers sound warmer compared to digital synthesizers. However, people choose one of these synths not just because of sound but also the fact that they want to learn about sound design.
7. Extra features – Look if the synthesizer you want to buy comes with extra features that make it stand out from other synths. For example, extra presets, inbuilt effects, and sequencers give you more options while creating new sounds. Synthesizers that have effects such as delays and reverbs allow more control of sound which you are looking for.
Top 5 Best Synth for Hip Hop Reviews
- Features intuitive 8 track pattern sequencer
- Flexible and easy to access
- Super sounds and unique vocal effect
- It is lightweight and portable
- The free downloadable sounds ensure that you keep your music up to date
Watch out for
- Require other software’s for it to function properly
- Does not have touch-sensitive keys
Roland Juno-DS 61 is an ultra-portable synth for musicians and is simple to load thus giving you ample time to concentrate on your presentations. It offers flexible new features for every band performance with quality in-built sounds, onboard pads for audio playback, and a pattern sequencer for creating original songs.
Besides, this synth has enhanced performance features and is battery powered. Public transport, cramped stages, and busy studios are no problems with this mobile synth which combines pro features with space-saving setup.
You can perform at a club by using AC or in the streets with its battery-powered keyboard. It gives you full band sound by playing along with authentic drum patterns or MP3. Simply put, Roland Juno-DS 61 is a mobile studio for recording tracks.
- Simple to use and is capable of recording internal sounds
- It is ultra-lightweight and portable
- Knobs and buttons are excellent
- Durable and has a unique look
- It is unique in quality
Watch out for
- Knobs have a bit of resistance
Yamaha MX61 synth is one of the best synths for Hip Hop which produces quality sounds. This synth has a powerful 61 velocity-sensitive full-size keys and features over 1000 rocking MOTIF XS sounds, USB audio/ MIDI connectivity, and deep controller integration with laptops or PCs.
With the evolution of technology, the synth internal storage drives are now multiple gigabytes in size allowing for multisampling of music sound. Yamaha MX61 has a Motif Sound Engine that produces great sounds and allows you to control up to 8 elements with a single voice.
Also, it has 128 notes of polyphony that ensure dropout-free performance that plays live or with full 16 track sequences. What we like about this synth is that it is portable and therefore you can comfortably carry it to shows.
- Supersampling function
- A rich variety with more than 1000 preset sounds
- Extremely versatile
- Lightweight and portable
- The real-time control section
Watch out for
- It is difficult to operate keyboard at times
- Cannot store a large volume of the music
Korg Kross 2 is a compact and portable synth with more features, more sounds, and more possibilities. This 61-key synth is lightweight and runs on batteries, thus allowing you to perform comfortably in the streets. Also, it has superior preset sounds, USB audio functionality, and expansion PCM memory.
With a built-in audio recorder, mic input, arpeggiator, and 16 track MIDI sequencer, Korg Kross 2 is uniquely designed to create stunning Hip Hop sound. Besides, it has a pad audio play function that allows audio files or recorded sounds imported from an external source to be assigned to 16 pads for playback.
- Has a 128 note polyphony
- It is compatible with Motif ES/ XF/XS voices
- Comes with 16 part multi-timbral feature as well as different sounds
- MIDI/ USB audio connection
- Features touch screen that you can select and change parameters
Watch out for
- A bit expensive
- The information on the screen is not that easy to read
If you are looking to buy a piano that incorporates both modular and analog systems then your best choice is Yamaha Montage 8. This is an exciting and powerful 88 key synthesizer that comes with great features.
It has rhythmic motion and multidimensional control which gives musicians greater control at their fingertips for sound moves. Montage comes with Motion Sequences which are tempo synchronized as well as customizable control sequences that can be assigned to any synth parameter.
Additionally, it has a powerful DSP engine type and super knob for sound modifications. Yamaha Montage 8 is driven by a programmable motion control matrix that gives you fluid, interactive command over two powerful synthesis engines.
- Room for two which means Duo Mode sounds are better
- Allows for direct control from the computer
- Comes with incredibly high-quality sounds
- It is easy to operate
- Features arpeggiator with step sequencing functions
- It has more key presets (256)
Watch out for
- Not amazing for pads sounds
- It has only 37 keys that might feel restrictive for advanced users
The final product on this list of best synth for Hip Hop is Moog subsequent 37. Moog Music Inc. has been in existence from the 1920s’ when Hip Hop music and has a reputation for producing hand-built synths with greater accuracy. This synth has 256 presets and 37 note key bed that produces beautiful, analog sound.
Also, Moog Sub 37 has an arpeggiator which is easy to use. You can switch between the Duo mode and the monophonic side of the synth’s personality is achieved by smashing the Duo mode with a switch in the oscillator.
Other features of Moog Subsequent 37 Synth for Hip Hop include high power headphones, 2 assignable mod busses, and free software editor that works as a standalone editor or DAW plugin.
FAQs About the Best Synth for Hip Hop
1. Which is the best synth for Hip Hop music?
There are many brands of synth for Hip Hop such as Roland Juno-DS, Yamaha MX61, Korg Kross 2, Yamaha Montage 8, and Moog Subsequent.
However, if you are looking to buy the best synth for Hip Hop, I will recommend Moog Subsequent because of its unique features which ensure it performs with great accuracy and produces articulate and vibrant Hip Hop sound.
2. What is the main factor to consider when choosing the best synth for Hip Hop?
Other than sound, the main factor to consider is whether the synth comes with extra features such as extra presets as well as outstanding connectivity like USB.
3. How can I make my synth last for long?
Although your synth will inevitably get old over time, there is a good chance that you can prevent this from happening sooner. The best way to prevent your synth from getting old quickly is by avoiding cleaning the synth with a watery cloth. Also, do not clean the synth regularly and be careful with liquids such as coffee and tea while working.
Music is good for the soul and getting the right synth will bring out the best of it. Most of the models in our list above are marketed as the best synth for Hip Hop, but your preference may vary from one person to another. Compare the different brands and purchase the one which best suits your Hip Hop needs and is value for your money.